Friday, August 06, 2010
Moondance top finished - woo hoo!
There are 9 big pieced blocks; they were easy to piece and were quickly done. There were pieced connector blocks that were also easy to construct. Ergo, the pieced part of the top was done in short order ... like in 4 days. The top could be left just like that, as it's just so pretty.
Well, it SEEMED like a zillion of them. :-)
There are a lot of different techniques for applique and Beth touches on her favorite machine method. I chose to hand-applique (most) of them. Why? Well, at the time, this was my Forever Project. As such, it needed to be portable and you can't just lug your machine around and use it in the front seat of your car on road trips. :-)
I made each flower free-standing by stitching them first on a base of water-soluble stabilizer. This allowed me to make the flowers where ever I was and I could see all the different color combinations prior to attaching them to the top.
Ditto with the dragonflies. Beth provided a pattern for fabric applique dragonflies but the body of the dragonfly was so doggone SKINNY that after the bazillion flowers, I was tuckered out. Instead, I found a machine embroidery dragonfly that was nearly the size of Beth's pattern and I chose to make free-standing machine embroidered dragonflies.
Because I chose to hand-applique the flowers & dragonflies, the completion of this top took MUCH longer than it would have, had I done everything by machine. This poor top has been dragged over Hell's Half-Acre in the past year and is now being gently washed to remove about 15 pounds of cat hair and miscellaneous dirt. :-)
It'll join the other tops in the pile of Tops To Be Quilted. :-) Once it gets quilted, I'll make a webpage for it. Don't hold your breath on that though ... there are a LOT of other tops already in the stack. :-)
I've already started my (current) Forever Project ... hand-embroidered blocks which will then be set into a quilt top. More on that in a future post.