Monday, January 21, 2013

"Evening Flight": a wall-hanging


This is another quilted project that I finished last year, June 2012 to be specific, but never made the webpage until now.  (You're going to be seeing several more blog entries in this vein, so you have been warned!)

A cousin of Mr. Pirate has a job with one of the hot air balloon companies that operate in the Napa Valley of California.  Napa Valley is a premier wine grape growing area and hot air balloon companies have taken advantage of how picturesque it is.

I was in the middle of working on another hot air balloon and grapes quilt when Mr. Pirate asked if I would make such a thing for this cousin.  I agreed and found this pattern, "Evening Flight" by Barbara Jones.

I must admit that because I am usually making and quilting LARGE quilts, I am continually surprised at how FAST small projects can be.   Sometimes it just takes a while for reality to sink in.  :-)







Evening Flight was a delightful project to do.  Departing from my usual construction techniques, I  fused the appliques and stitched a tight satin stitch over the raw edges.  Quilting was minimal but appropriate.  I even remembered to use one of my specialty templates to stitch a single rope cable in the border!


Those pictures are just teasers! For all the gory details, links and more pictures, please visit my web page for the Evening Flight wall-hanging.




No comments:

Post a Comment