The Hexagon Forever Project ™.
At this point, 8 months later, I have absolutely, positively finished the last of the 60 flower units I need to make the top I want. I think the top will be about 90" x 98" without borders; I'm not sure what sort of borders I will put on.
The picture above is a completed flower unit: a single ring of hexagons sewn to a path. This completed unit is roughly 12" x 13".
The picture to the right shows all 60 completed flower units stacked up in groups of 10. I thought I would NEVER finish them!
I'm not quite sure how long this phase it going to last .. hence the name ... Forever Project ™. :-)
This is kinda/sorta/more-or-less what the completed top is going to look like, once all the completed flower units are sewn together.
Last month, I participated in About.com's annual Quilting Retreat in Phoenix, Arizona. We've been having this retreat for about the past 13 years, although not always in Phoenix. All of us are active on About.com's Quilting forum and we all look forward to seeing each other in real life every February.
|This is the cover quilt from the Eclipse pattern|
There is only one block, an easy Drunkard's Path that finishes at 8". You just keep sewing all the fabrics together to make lots and lots and lots and lots ... and even more lots ... of the one block. Once all the blocks are finished, then you simply "arrange" them and sew the blocks together.
Although I did try to keep to a kinda/sorta/not exactly organized color scheme, what I ended up with isn't anything that I'm absolutely IN LOVE with. Which is a doggone shame, since batiks are expensive, even at the sale price I bought them at.
While at the Retreat, I made a certain number of blocks but by no means all of them. After all, there are a LOT of activities going on! Upon my return home, I did put my nose to the grindstone and finish sewing all the blocks and even trimming them to uniform size.
I need 144 blocks to make my queen-sized quilt and the picture to the left shows the 144. There better be 144!
And that's where this project lies right now: all the trimmed blocks are stored away in a project bag with the border fabric and pattern. Since I'm not IN LOVE with it, I'm going to let it marinate a while so I can proceed with quilting all the OTHER tops that have been patiently waiting their turn. :-)