Saturday, June 25, 2011

Keep It Zipped! (or What's Behind the Zipper?)

Ever have a crazy idea and create a quilt from it?   Did you ever have an inside joke with someone and create a quilt incorporating the concept?

Well ... I have and I just did!

Mr. Pirate (that long-suffering, solitary male soul in a 4 female household) has always teased me that my quilts are "defective".  He points to sleeping bags as being a "proper" quilt because they have a ZIPPER all the way around.  My quilts do not have zippers and are therefore "defective".

After years of letting the idea percolate in my imagination, I finally was able to implement my one-upmanship idea.  I found a quilt pattern, "Rolling Pin" by Me & My Sisters that was ideal for the inclusion of zippers.













I had a "surprise" to hide behind the zippers.
















 And I even  had a machine embroidery design OF a zipper!

The entire construction and quilting of this masterpiece was done entirely under the nose and behind the back of Mr. Pirate.  He never had a clue.  :-)

I hope I've teased you enough so that you'll want to read the entire backstory of how this quilt came to be made!



For all the gory details, links and more pictures, please visit my web page for the Keep It Zipped! quilt.

1 comment:

  1. Shelley, this is such a great quilt and story. Thanks for sharing your process and sneaky stitching! I love the humor and surprises you've built in. The label zipper is the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete