Saturday, May 14, 2011

Current Forever Project: Dress Me Up, dress 12

oh hooray, hooray!  The last of the hand-embroidered dress blocks is finally finished! 

This is dress #12 and although I don't *think* the 12 blocks were supposed to be a Dress of the Month sort of thing, this dress is definitely Christmasy.

There's no fancy stitching to give you a close-up of  ... just the stitches that I've used all along .. a whipped backstitch, embellished here with French knots.

Now that all the hand-embroidery is done, I am now thinking about what kind of setting to put them in. 

The pattern calls for a 3 x 4 grid with narrow sashing.  A perfectly fine layout, to be sure, but I'm not overly enthusiastic about it.



Garden Lattice sashing
If it's going to be a grid, I'd like to put a different twist on it.  I've always like the Garden Lattice sashing (and have used it before)

But ... I've *used* this sashing before and perhaps I'd like something similar but still different??

"Spanish Tiles" by Deborah Peterson
In my wanderings around the internet, I came across a new book, "Living Large 2" by Deborah Peterson.  One of the quilts in this book is titled "Spanish Tiles" and looks like a Garden Lattice variation.  I really like it!

Or maybe an Attic Window format might look nice.   I haven't done an Attic Window in a while.

BUT .. since I used an overly large piece of fabric to embroider on, I have quite a bit of background to play with.  Another possibility is to put the dresses in an oval shape, rather than a rectangle. 

Hmmm ... maybe I could find an ornate machine embroidery and put some fancy machine embroidery at the tops & bottoms of the ovals .. kind of like a Victorian picture frame.

There are lots of different possibilities open at this point and I'll need to ponder on the problem for a while.  I'll put it on the back burner and let my subconscious work at it.

In the meantime, I need to find a new Forever Project!    They sure don't make Forever Projects last as long as they used to!  :-)

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations. They look terrific and I like the suggestions you are making for framing the dresses in the quilt. Having been inspired by your quilt I am just now starting mine and transferred the first pattern today. I look forward to seeing your finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diamant - thank you!

    When you get the pattern, you'll see you have the option of doing the dresses as applique, instead of embroidery. It looks entirely different in applique!

    Please do consider posting pictures of your own version! I would love to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little dresses turned out so nice! I like the oval idea, but the lattice looks nice too. I don't think you would want to mix the machine embroidery with the beautiful hand embroidery---would you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frances told me about you...your dress quilt are amazing..I love the old styles, very unique and I love the colors...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie .. dunno about the mixing of hand and machine embroidery. Since I wouldn't be doing the machine embroidery ON the hand embroidered dresses, I can experiment. It's still very much up in the air.

    Madame Samm .. thank you so much for the compliment! All the dresses have been bundled together, patiently waiting for their turn to be worked on again.

    Once again, I think I have too many projects being worked on at one time ... my one brain cell is getting frazzled! :-)

    ReplyDelete