Monday, November 15, 2010
"Lumiere de Noel"
Then, whilst I was doing my research, I found pictures of the actual Moda fabrics used! woo hoo! Now I could see if I could find compatible fabrics in my stash. I knew it wouldn't be an exact match but I was going for the "look and feel" of the pattern, not creating a replica.
More perusing of the internet uncovered LOTS of sites offering the quilt as a kit ... but I most definitely did NOT want the kit. I even found a website that was selling the pattern only for about $3.00 ... and I bookmarked that site. This was a real deal in terms of the price for the pattern and it would certainly save me a lot of time.
THEN .. I wandered on over to the Moda fabric site and to my astonishment, I discovered that Lumiere de Noel is a *freely available* pattern to download! I'd like to say shame on the website that was *selling* the pattern, but I suppose they've done nothing illegal but it sure seems to me that they could make a link to the Moda site for the pattern since they were selling the fabrics too. (On the Moda site, just scroll down until you see the "Lumiere de Noel" link.)
I saved the pattern and printed it off. It contains not only pictures of the specific fabrics used, but yardage requirements and complete construction details. There was nothing left out of the download. I was extremely pleased to have found it!
I had *more* than enough of both of them so that they could be the main fabrics of the Sawtooth Star blocks.
The rest of the fabrics for the Sawtooth Stars also came from my stash ... toiles, neutrals, sparkles from previous quilts .. even remnants from a Daisy Kingdom pinafore that I made for my youngest Dear Daughter, when she was a mere squirt! (Anyone remember Daisy Kingdom patterns & garment fabrics? Gosh, I loved them .. still do. My girls had a number of Daisy Kingdom garments and they loved twirling around in the full skirts).
Also, only the 1st two columns are stitched together; the other columns are just pinned to a sheet, which is my 'design wall'. You can see that I've left space between the columns for the sashing fabric.
At this point I need one more fabric: the linear stripe that is used as the sashing between the Sawtooth Stars. No quilt store in my immediate area (and there are 3 that I frequent) nor Joann's is stocking linear stripes in red/white or red/cream these days. I *VERY* briefly thought about using my embroidery machine to create a linear stripe ... but the sashing is 70" long. My biggest hoop is 7" long .. that means I would need to do *ten* hoopings just for one sashing. If you look back at the pictures, you'll see there are FOUR sashings. That's a total of 40 hoopings .. and although I love my daughters, I don't love them THAT much! :-) (yes, I am just that selfish. :-) )
Otherwise, I'll need to order from another site and will have to wait even more! While this quilt isn't for Christmas, since I am >thisclose< to finishing, any delay in finishing the top would be excessively annoying. I want to GET IT FINISHED!
Because the fabric is 2 yards long, the sashings will be one straight cut of fabric ... I won't have to piece it. I've pieced sashings before .. I've even pieced sashings and matched the patterns so that you really couldn't tell it had been pieced ... BUT this particular fabric has no convenient break point in the print that would allow for easy piecing. I wouldn't look forward to needing to piece this fabric together.
I hope they have the 2 yards available! (crossing fingers!)