Tuesday, November 23, 2010
"Lumiere de Noel" top finished!
To recap: the free pattern is available at Moda. Lots of online and brick-and-mortar stores offer a kit with the 'official' "Lumiere de Noel" line of fabrics, but I wanted to make it from the fabric in my own stash ... I knew I could. :-)
One very prominent fabric is the linear stripe used as the sashing. I didn't have anything remotely like it and I discovered neither did any of my local quilt stores.
Fortunately, the Quilted Cottage in Santa Rosa, CA had it in stock and I ordered it online. The
fabric was safely delivered promptly, tossed into the washing machine, dried, fussy cut and sewn between the columns.
The outer slab-o-border was sewn on and the top was completed! (From my blog readings, I have discerned that my Australian compatriots refer to a "top" as a "flimsy" .... which I find to be a simply adorable term! and so apt! :-) )
See the round flower thingies? They line up nicely, don't they? Now look at the leaves below the flower thingies. One is upside down. !!!!!
There are *four* sashings from this linear stripe in the top. By sheer dumb luck ... since I wasn't even AWARE that the stripe was directional ... three of the sashings go in the same direction and the fourth goes the other way. I was soooo careful to make sure the flower thingies were aligned horizontally, it never occurred to me to check to see about anything being directional!! aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!
How. Very. Annoying.
I'm thinking that I'll just leave it has it is, as a testament to my hubris for gloating. Since Dear Daughter has already told me she doesn't read my blog (" ... but Mom, I *see* this stuff as you're making it ... "), she'll never notice it if I never tell her. :-)