Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Deco Garden: the latest blocks


Bonus Block 44 - red rose (although I chose coral): 
Every year, my (extended) family takes a tent camping vacation at Calaveras Big Trees State Park in California's Sierra Nevada mountains.   Calaveras is smack-dab in the middle of the Gold Rush country but the main attraction for us is that there are (literally) mountain sides chock full of trees.  BIG trees.  And with all the activities to do and places to go with kids, it's simply a wonderful place to camp.   We've been going there for over 40 years ... that's how much we love it.

We are "unplugged" when we go camping.  There is absolutely no internet access in the campsites. It used to be that we would need to go to the nearest town (about 10 miles) for just Wifi ... and further down the mountain to get actual non-Wifi access.

Bonus Block 52 - May Flag Iris
This has its advantages ... when I am in camping, I don't feel any urge to be on my cellphone, checking on all the frivolous things I do.  Instead, I work on hand needlework projects that I had previously "kitted up" at home before we left.

This year, I brought along 4 prepped Deco Garden blocks and about a bazillion prepped border blocks.  With all the comings and goings .. and books on my Kindle that I wanted to read ... I didn't get as much appliqued as I anticipated.

BUT .. I did finish two more 12" Deco Garden blocks and started a third (which I am continuing to work on).

Upon my return home, I took some time to tally how many and which blocks I had finished so that I could know how much further the end of the tunnel was.  I was gratified to see that I have only FIVE more Deco Garden blocks to finish!    WOOO HOOO!!. 

Oh yeah, and all those border blocks.  Fortunately, those guys are much smaller.  Unfortunately, I need to make a gazillion little circles for those blocks, which is tedious.  They make the block look very festive, though, so I won't be leaving them off.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley,
    as soon as I saw the image on my feed, I knew it was you. the quilt blocks are gorgeous. Hope all is well.
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ang. I'm happy to say that everything is just dandy up here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are beautiful, Shelley. Your work amazes me. I was at Clavevaras back in the 70s and it is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I really do love needleturn applique, once I learned of the front-basted method. I learned this from Nancy Lee Chong of Pacific Rim Quilting Co.

      You can learn it also from any of her "2 Fabric Applique" patterns. Those designs are big, gentle curves and easy to do.

      All of the other needleturn techniques just weren't my cup of tea.

      But what will REALLY amaze me is if I ever get the top quilted! :-)

      Delete
  4. Shelley you are really making progress on this and they are all little mini works of art. The finished quilt will be so awesome!

    ReplyDelete