Although I've been exceedingly lazy about blogging, I *have* been busy otherwise. I've been steadily working on decreasing the number of projects in my UFO bins (sadly, after I re-organized and consolidated the contents of my sewing room, I have 5, count 'em 5!, UFO bins. Very sad.)
In no particular order, here are the UFO projects that I've completed so far in 2016:
Bay Area Crisis Nursery. This is a standard "friendship braid" but uses half-hexies instead of noodles. The result, although very similar to the noodle-based braid, is subtly different. By using half-hexies, you get a slanted angle where the segments meet (and during construction, there is less waste when you trim the outer edges). I was very pleased to be able to make this quilt using scraps on hand. I used the pantograph, "Chantilly Lace" to quilt it.
*Two fund raiser quilts. Both quilts are about 44"x 60" and I was very pleased to be able to make both of these quilts using scraps on hand. These quilts will be used for the annual fundraiser for the Santa Cruz Toddler Care Center.
Labyrinth" by Calico Carriage Quilt Designs.
I only partially finished the top during the workshop. Back home, I was probably working on some other project, so I tucked Labyrinth away for a later time. Well ... 3 years later, it's time to get it finished!
I used some lengthwise printed fabric as the borders. Although the border palette isn't quite the same as the colors used in the interior, I think it works well together. AND the UFO is finished. But not quilted - that comes later. :-)
I bought a packet of fat eighths, a background fabric, an extra fat eighth of a royal blue and the magazine to make the quilt. The vendor didn't have the magazine on hand but mailed it to me. When all the supplies arrived, I bundled them up and put them away, since I was probably working on another project at the time.
Finally, in 2016, I hauled it out because I knew it wouldn't take very long to complete. Essentially, it is squares with circles appliqued on them, the squares are then sewn into columns and then surrounded by a border. However, the fabric that I bought was NOT what the pattern called for. By reading .. and re-reading VERY CAREFULLY .. I was able to PRECISELY cut out what was needed .. except for the little circles around the border. The fat eighths simply would not allow for cutting the circles of the size called for; I had to make my circles just a bit smaller.
Furthermore, the vendor sold me EXACTLY the amount of black fabric for the sashing and borders. I mean EXACTLY. I had *threads* left over when all had been cut. Which means I have NO black Oakshott fabric for the binding. I tell you, I was pretty irked. I'm going to need to buy more and it's not going to be the same dye lot, obviously. I can only hope that it's not horridly mis-matched.
Furthermore, I was not particularly happy about the way the pattern was written. It very well could be that I am simply used to the way American patterns are written, but this one was just off-center somehow. The most glaring item was how the borders were constructed. First, the pattern calls for mitered borders. Honestly, since the borders are plain fabric, there's no NEED for mitered borders; butted borders would have sufficed. However, I wasn't thinking very clearly and proceeded to do the mitered corners. For me, it's no big deal; I enjoy mitered corners in borders. BUT ..... *these* instructions have you CUT THE MITER on all four border pieces before sewing them together. OH MY GOODNESS .. if that isn't a recipe for disaster, I don't know what is. One SLIGHT mis-cut or mis-measurement and you can kiss those mitered borders goodbye. I did NOT construct the mitered borders that way; I used the technique that I thought was in standard useage. Although I didn't use this particular tutorial, it *is* representative of how I normally sew a mitered border. And in my humble opinion, a much better technique than the one presented by the pattern.
It's not quilted in this picture but I plan to load it onto my Tin Lizzie as the next quilting project to be worked on.
The following projects didn't come from the UFO bin but are new projects that managed to completely distract me.
What I did find at a local quilt show was a 4 panel strip, printed pictures of vintage trailers! Perfect! I cut the panels apart and re-connected them with English paper pieced hexagons and teeny-tiny triangles. Coordinating strips finished the sides. I did minimal quilting: a lot of free motion outlining, SITD and spirals in the hexies.
It now hangs on the bathroom door .. the only long vertical spot in the entire trailer.
Ladybug and Kisses". It is an absolutely, terminally adorable applique quilt. In looking at my notes and pictures, I can't BELIEVE that I didn't take a picture of the quilted, finished item! Truly .. I'm astonished.
All that I have is a picture of the unquilted top. Wow .. what an oversight.
and that's what I've been occupied with since the beginning of the year! :-)