Sunday, January 01, 2012

the Last Hoorah of 2011 (Smitten with Neutrals)

In a totally unexpected surprise (uh .. attention redundancy department!), I have a last minute, final quilt of 2011!

The pattern is "Smitten", designed by Rachel Griffith. Although the pattern was released in April 2011, I didn't see it until December 22, when LittleBook Notes showed the blocks she was making.  I felt it calling my name. :-)

I pulled together some neutral prints and a compatible background/sashing.  The block went together very easily and I was able to make (12) twelve-inch blocks with the fabric that I had.

I couldn't leave well enough alone, as I changed the borders from the 3 slab-o-borders that were in the pattern to a pieced border that I found in one of my reference books.  I got the top pieced in about 2 days.

I *was* going to leave it unquilted, but started doodling.  A quilting associate mentioned that I sure could get that thing quilted, couldn't I?  I could, but nope, I was not.  Other things had precedence!  But a strange thing happened ... somehow that quilt got loaded onto Lizzie!

Over the next 2 days (December 30th & 31st), for a total of 5-1/2 hours, I was able to not only QUILT it (granted, it's a small, throw-sized quilt) but make the label & bind it!  I even had a couple hours to spare before midnight, New Year's Eve!  :-)

I did more quilting on this than I normally do but it still came out *wonderfully* drapeable and soft ... I think because I used polyester batting instead of cotton.  It really defined and high-lighted the fancy quilting I did.

I did use a circular template to help with part of the feather spines and I used a straight-edge to help me with the stitch in the ditch.  I chalked various guidelines to help me with all the rest of the quilting, which is totally free-motion.

And I am very, very pleased with the way the quilting came out.  Lots of feathers and swirls.  I'm getting better at this stuff!  :-)

Please surf on over to my Smitten webpage to see LOTS more pictures and LOTS more verbage and all the appropriate links.  :-)




Those pictures are just teasers! For all the gory details, links and more pictures, please visit my web page for the Smitten with Neutrals quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment