Friday, June 07, 2019

So .. where were we?


or ... Returning to blogging
Diagonal 9-Patches (1/2017) unquilted

[Note: I'm going to sprinkle some eye-candy photos of quilts that I've worked on, that I haven't previously posted.  They have absolutely nothing to do with the text .. it's just to keep you reading. :-)  ]

I recently read a blog by Jessica Sprague , where she talks about her hiatus from blogging.  Jessica is an extraordinary crafter and creates some of the most amazing and informative instructional video tutorials.  I'm very glad that she's back.










One of her statements really resonated with me.
Dinosaur Diamonds (1/2017) unquilted

She said, "...But it’s HARD to get started blogging again. Hard to get out there, when it’s easy to let the old status quo become the permanent status quo. It’s hard to get started with anything you once enjoyed and have let lapse, I think. And the guilt...."














Ribbon Box  in flannel (2/1017) unquilted 


I can see from my own history that my last real blog post was .. geez! .. August 2018.  And there were long lapses along the way.  The last project that I actually created a webpage for was in ... holy moley!  2015.   Cripes.


One thing I really dislike is reading blogs about "oh, I've been so bad about blogging."  "It's been so long since my last post."  And yet, here I am, making just that kind of post.  :-/











Two Fabric Bargello (2/2018) unquilted
Jessica's statement about it being difficult to get re-started with blogging is so true.  Even though I haven't been blogging, I haven't stopped quilting or crafting.  I just haven't blogged about it.  I've been keeping track of my projects but not writing them up.

When you finish a project, there is a certain amount MORE energy you need to expend to get the project ready to blog/publicize.  There's a lot of behind the scenes activities that need to be done. Properly taking photos.  Editing those photos.  Researching web links, if you didn't do it before, for proper credits.  *Writing* the doggone blog.







Ginger Jars wall-hanging (3/2018) unquilted
And while the blog step has always been part of the creative process for me, back in 2016, I just became lethargic about it.  It was a big case of "meh".

AND THEN .. as if that wasn't enough for me to do, I started a NEW hobby, one that has become increasingly more insistent over the years.

I've always been interested in my family's genealogy and photos.  I've collected photos of my family and of my husband's family for decades.  I've done family research for both him and me.  I've "discovered" long lost or formerly unknown family branches .. and I tell you that was WILDLY exciting!

Since I'm the only one in the family who is really interested in doing this research, I'm the one who need to get all these stories out of my head and onto paper.  Creating heritage/vintage photo scrapbooks of the family genealogy has been increasingly more important.  It's like an 800 lb gorilla sitting in my craft room, staring at me.

Shadow Box/Illusion with border (4/2018)
And once I've discovered information, I need to properly preserve it, which is where the scrapbooking comes in.  Oh boy ... a new hobby for which I can buy supplies and take lessons and, hopefully, make some scrapbook pages!   Along the way, I discovered that I can use the same scrapbooking supplies to make cards!  Holy smokes!  Card-making is darn near instant gratification!  I found myself procrastinating making the scrapbook pages in favor of making cute cards.   Geez.

Jessica Sprague also mentioned the "guilt".  Oh yeah .. all this time, the projects that I have been working on, both quilting and crafting, have been nagging me to publicize and share!  Since I wasn't, there's another pile of guilt to deal with.  As much as I might like to, I just can't simultaneously do family research AND quilting AND paper crafting.



Spoolin' Around (12/2018)  **quilted**!!!
So, the purpose of THIS blog post is to acknowledge that I've been a lamer.  I'm going to see if putting the blogging bit on a schedule will help with the backlog of what I'd like to share with y'all.  I know I work better with deadlines.  So, if I have a scheduled day/time for working on the blog, I think the chances are better that I'll actually DO it.  :-)

As the saying goes, "hope springs eternal." 














9 comments:

  1. Here you are again, welcome back to blog land. Lovely quilts. And so nice that you have a new hobby, tracing your long lost family members. Guess that takes a lot of time, plus recording what you discover. Do what makes you happy, and if that is less blogging, so be it. You haven't given up on patchwork and quilting, so that is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya, Jenny. So nice of you to leave a comment! The sewing and the piecing and the quilting continue to whisper my name. I definitely hear them! I think with the scrapbooking pages that I have already done, I feel that I can schedule days for certain hobbies. It will be slower going on all of them BUT I won't be totally ignoring one (or more) in favor of another.

    Perhaps it really *IS balance and moderation in all things. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yarrr and ahoy! Never feel guilty - life happens! I love tracing ancestors - but it gets to a point when I get stuck. Only so much can be done. The weirdest one was that I found my great grandmother's family had lived a short distance from where I lived! Not only that my husband's great greats lived equally close to home. Since moving husband's aunt told him some of his ancestors lived close by. I knew I had some seafaring bods, some of which would have been just an hour away. But a fascinating subject it is too.

    Not a lot of sewing since we moved but hoping to rectify that shortly!

    I love your Spoolin' Around - but then the other eye candies are equally beautiful - I think it's the intricate parts of the Spoolin' that draws my eye the most. So thank you for popping them up. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I discovered that my great-grandmother and great aunt were buried in the next town over from where I grew up, I turned to my Dad and exclaimed/demanded why he had never thought to mention that to me!!! In fact, we could SEE the cemetery from the backyard!

      He just shrugged .. it wasn't important to him (and this was HIS grandmother and aunt!!) so it never crossed his mind. AARRGGHH!

      Delete
    2. LOL! My husband isn't particularly interested, but it's nice to keep a record just in case my descendants get curious. I just wish I'd asked my grandparents more when I was young.
      And I've started making scrappy trips around the world - 5 blocks done on a treadle! Feels great to get sewing.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back. I totally get it. I had the same problem, specially after someone took my old business name. Just made me sad. Loving your quilts and as always, your great sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I didn't realize that your business name had been usurped! How disheartening. :-(

    I'm thinking now that instead of needing to finished all my quilting UFOs before I pass on, I need to have a Much Longer Quality Life. Yeah .. I'll work on that concept. :-)

    Whenever I see your blog show up in my reader, I always know I have a very good read ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, missed you.
    No pressure, but look forward to hearing more from you.
    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for the welcome! Whatever pressure there is, it totally coming from me ... I really do like to share what I'm doing but it seems that there is never enough time to do it all.

      Also ... I'm getting more lazy as time marches on. :-)

      Delete